Wednesday, March 23, 2011

American Idol Season 10 Top 11 My Opinion 3/23/11

American Idol Motown Favorites



Casey - "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Marvin Gaye
From Nirvana to Marvin Gaye is a big step so watching this charismatic singer do a great rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Heard it Through the Grapevine" was awesome. With an addition of violin strings behind him it seemed Casey was comfortable on the stage singing to the crowd and working his mojo. He definetly controlled himself on some of the screaming and made the song his own. Rocking the red shirt and black suit it seemed he really cleaned up and went from the rugged construction worker look to a suited hot wedding singer. I have a feeling he will go far and get plenty of votes. Great opening song and hope the rest of the American Idols can compete with that.



Thia - "Heatwave" -  Martha and the Vandellas
From Last week's show doing Colors of the Wind to an uptempo Heatwave is a change for this 16 year old (youngest contestant in American Idol history). I loved the song and the fact I felt as though I was watching Sister Act all over again. She has the voice but learning to sing something else other than ballads is gonna be something she will have to learn. She is gonna have to take some chances. It was nice to hear something different for once and hope she can open herself up a little more.


Jacob - "You're all i need to get by" Marvin Gaye
There is not much I can say for this kid. I haven't liked him very much but to me he over exaggerates sometimes when he sings. I know he will be up there in the top 5 but he is a soul singer. He really controlled himself. If there was one thing he could do is not sound like a sheep and use too much vibrato all the time. I hope he can learn what to do to make top 5. Wow ok, Ryan had a few of the girls from the front rows get up and give him a hug.



Lauren- "Keep me Hanging On" - Supremes
A country girl went from singing Melissa Etheridge to a great rendition of this Motown dance song. She was in the bottom three in the past two episodes so I hope that she can get the votes she needs to stay in this competition! She may be white but it seemed the attitude came out of her like a black chick from the ghetto who's baby's daddy said he wasn't the father. She has her swagger is what Randy said. She rocked a great long dress in which she had to hold onto as she walked around the stage and sang to Randy. This country girl is gonna be alright for the next few weeks.




Stefano - "Hello" Lionel Ritchie
This song was a great version as I have heard this song a million times. The only issue he had was he still has yet to open his eyes and connect to people. I understand his intensity of feeling the pain with the song but it took me forever to learn to open my eyes. All the judges agree when it comes to opening his eyes and connecting with his audience. He just needs to take his time, listen to his heart and know that if he needs to connect with someone he needs to see them, not imagine them or be unemotional.



Hailey - "You Really Got a Hold On Me" Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
What is with the costume department? This is the 3rd person to come out with a white jacket. Hailey has that blues feeling and really has a rock quality to her voice. She did an amazing version of this song and seemed really comfortable towards the end. She may have been a little tight and off a little in the beginning but her attitude and her song choice was great. Her little growl was awesome and seemed like a Steven Tyler controlled scream. She really is soulful and was great this time. I swear in some points of the song she sounded like Micheal Jackson when he was a kid. Good choice!




Scotty - "For Once In My Life" - Stevie Wonder
At first was kinda scared to hear a country version of this classic from Stevie Wonder but wow, this kid can really make any song into a Country Hit!!! Even dressed in all black just like Josh Turner. His voice was just amazing and just made something into his own. The little wink made everything even better. To make anything into country is not that hard but for a Motown song into Country is really a little bit more difficult. That low note is just soooooo hot! J Lo said every time he does that low note it gets her every time! As for what Randy said, that low note is a Lady Killer. "Is the voice inside your head that deep too?" - Ryan Seacrest


Pia - "All in Love is Fair" - Stevie Wonder
A ballad again? Beauty, vocals, feeling, great...but......she didn't own the stage. She is a great singer and can hit a note with no problem but she needs to get away from ballads. Even Thia changed herself. Steven said she needs to put some sneakers on and kick some ass without doing a ballad! I think Ryan was more into her dress than anything. It was backless!!!!


Paul - "Tracks of my Tears" - Smokey Robinson
I would have to say that bringing the guitar on stage was a great idea but singing Tracks of My Tears was the worst idea Paul could have had. This is not my favorite performance from him and his voice reminds me of the lead singer from Matchbox 20. He is so unique but he makes it so Rod Stuart-y" and gets the girls on their feet. They love his voice but him singing other people's songs is very difficult. 


Niama - "Dancing in the Streets" - Martha & The Vandellas
Oh crap, another Niama remix of a classic. I know I won't be happy with this!! This is American Idol, not So You Think You Can Dance. I mean come on Seriously? I would like her to sing a song without changing it. She may be a great performer but dancing is not what we are judged on. I understand loving your heritage is what is great but it didn't work for Karen and soon people will soon be annoyed. Keep singing but please try and do just ONE song without changing it!!



James - "Leaving for the City" - Stevie Wonder
This Adam Lambert look-a-like not only has the moves and sound but he rendition of Leaving for the City was amazing! This was a great closer and his high note once again gave me the chills! Randy thought it was a little rough but when he gets into the groove and gets his power he really gets into it. Steven thinks to get into this world we have to be a little crazy. He nailed it and I hope this Santa Cruz, CA guy makes it far!



 Once again, as this week ends, this is my opinion and my opinion alone. Let me know what you think and who you think will be number one all the way through!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment